Celebrating 50 years of science, science writing and CASW
CASW's leaders and distinguished guests gathered at the Cosmos Club in Washington, DC, on April 17, 2010 for a dinner and panel celebrating the Council's first 50 years of service.
Among those appearing on Miles O'Brien's video recording of the event are:
- Joann Rodgers, former President of CASW and current member of the Board of Directors
- Cristine Russell, current CASW President
- Philip Boffey, New York Times editorial writer and member of the Board (emeritus, 2011), moderating the panel
- Panelist Carol W. Greider, molecular biologist and biochemist awarded the Nobel Prize in 2009
- Panelist Jane Lubchenco, environmental scientist and marine biologist who became Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in 2009
- Panelist Marcia McNutt, geophysicist who became Director of the U.S. Geological Survey in 2009
- Panelist Harold E. Varmus, cellular biologist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in 1989, Director of the National Institutes of Health 1993-1999 and Director of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center 2000-10.