Support for CASW
How is CASW making a difference during the COVID-19 pandemic? We are supporting excellence in science journalism through our awards, training, and education programs. Science journalists are on the front lines of the pandemic, fighting misinformation and confusion by equipping the public with accurate, timely information.
Your donations to CASW help us support science journalism through:
CASW is grateful for the individual gifts and grants that—along with university hosting of the annual New Horizons in Science briefing—allow us to carry out our mission of advancing science writing.
Like other nonprofits, CASW especially values the support of donations and sustaining contributions that underwrite operating costs, fellowships and awards, and our efforts to develop new initiatives to meet emerging challenges.
Contributions may be made by way of two special funds established by CASW:
- the Barbara K. Trevett Fund for the Future, a vehicle designed primarily to facilitate individual giving. The fund recognizes its namesake for her strong advocacy on behalf of CASW as well as the science writing community in general during her three-plus decades as a medical and science public affairs specialist for non-profit institutions.
- the Patrusky Fund, created in 2013 in honor of Ben Patrusky, CASW Executive Director from 1988 to 2013. The fund supports the Patrusky Lecture at New Horizons in Science and enables CASW to launch additional programs that enable CASW to work in a spirit of innovation and response to the needs and issues of the changing world of science communication.
As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, CASW files Form 990 annually with the IRS. The form, which provides a full account of CASW's finances and support base, is available for public viewing at www.guidestar.org.
Mailed contributions should be sent to CASW, P.O. Box 17337, Seattle, WA 98127. Please make checks out to CASW, with a memo line indicating the intended purpose. Individuals may contibute online via PayPal or credit card by clicking on the "Donate" button on this page. Please note that donations made through PayPal will appear on credit-card bills as "PayPal CASW." Sylvia Kantor will provide acknowledgements of all gifts.
Current contributors include:
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Chemical Society
- The Brinson Foundation
- The Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- The CASW Board
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Kavli Foundation
- Richard Lounsbery Foundation
- The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
With science and technology playing an ever-increasing role in our daily lives, the public's dependence on clear, accurate, honest, agenda-free science reporting will continue to grow. We ask institutions and individuals who subscribe to these tenets to join with us in our efforts to confront this vitally important challenge.
To learn more about CASW and the donor process, please contact: